Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Family Recipe: Simply Delicious Baked Chicken

This is a family recipe.  One of those recipes I had to obtain from my mom once I moved out of her house. It is very simple, yet so delicious.  All my life, I've always been excited when my mother would make this dish.  And when she passed along the recipe, it was a pleasant surprise that it was so easy!! My friend Marianne - HEY!! - requested that I post more recipes. So, here is a simple, also toddler friendly recipe. My Zoey loves it! 

 When I am home, I try to do a lot of my cooking while the little naps, and this recipe is quite perfect for that.  It needs about 2-3 hours in the oven - depending on your oven.  The chicken comes out so tender and juicy, it basically falls right off the bone.  It also tastes great as leftovers.  It's a  great option for a dinner party as well- most people really enjoy it, and you can make it in advance and reheat.  It's comforting and simply delicious. 


Ingredients:

  • 2lbs Chicken Pieces ( Here i just used thighs  and legs, but you can use any cut)
  • 2 Cups Seasoned Bread Crumbs (I always season my own, but you can use pre-seasoned ones as well)
  • 2 Eggs (for a healthier version you can just use the whites)
  • Half a lemon (squeezed for juice, really not necessary but I find it helps tenderize meat)
  • One Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 1 Cup Wine (any kind, I used white here, but I prefer to use Red, I just had this bottle opened already)


This recipe is easily adjusted to serve more or less as well.. 

If you would like to season your own breadcrumbs, here is what I used:

  • 2 Cups Plain Bread Crumbs 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
Preheat oven to 325.  Clean your chicken pieces, and squeeze the lemon juice over them and put aside.

If you are seasoning your own breadcrumbs start by putting all the ingredients into one bowl.
Breadcrumbs, Salt, Pepper, Italian Seasoning, and Parmesan



Use a fork to mix your breadcrumbs.

While the oil is heating....


Crack open eggs and lightly whisk together.

Place whisked eggs into a medium sized bowl and dip your chicken pieces in one at a time and then


firmly press your chicken into the breadcrumbs to get a light coating all around.


Place into heated frying pan and cook for about 3 minutes on each side.
Have a roasting pan handy to transfer your chicken into once you have fried on both sides. 



OPTIONAL: When I have extra breadcrumbs I do this.  My mom always did this for me as a child.  You take your leftover bread crumbs and mix them with your leftover egg.


roll them into small balls and then flatten.



Fry on both sides for about 2 minutes each and then add to your roasting pan with your chicken.

Measure out a cup of wine or more... (I know this is only half, but I did add more) and add to the pan with your chicken, make sure to drizzle some over the chicken.





cover with tinfoil and put in the oven for about 2 hours at 325 degrees.  My oven seems to run slightly warmer than others, so some of you may want to leave the chicken in a little longer. 
Voila! And surprise! I added potatoes here too as a little experiment, and I would do it again... next time I might even try some carrots...and maybe more wine with the potatoes and veggies.

I hope some of you try this and enjoy it as much as I always have. 

Thanks for checking in guys! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment