Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Ben Howard

If you don't know who he is... you should definitely check him out.  I think this is a good first song to listen to:




He is one of those artists that I frequently revisit, play the living daylights out of his albums, and then tell myself it's time to let go and move on for a bit.... I am currently in a Ben Howard phase -- I have been listening to him almost exclusively for a couple of weeks now.  I have his CD loaded in my car, and I have also been listening to everything he has to offer on Spotify... His music has so much emotion and beauty to it.  He has it all: voice, lyrics, instrumentals, (not to mention he's somewhat of a dreamboat).  Shout out to the beautiful India Bourne (also crushworthy), the cellist / bassist / percussionists/ Vocalist  who usually plays alongside him

I was  introduced to Ben Howard by a lovely girl I met at a music festival.  She is from Canada, and moved to New York for a while.  She also dated one of my good friends, we have shared some great times together from camping, to music festivals, to running on the east river in NYC and making homemade juices..She is one of those people you meet and just click with quickly and easily.  Funny how that happens sometimes. She is a beautiful soul, back in Canada now - miss you, love you xx

We actually went to see him in concert together in New York City twice.  The first time was his first show in NYC, and it was such an experience, because he was just so happy to see a crowd, and that they knew all his songs, and that we were all singing along and cheering him on.  The show was just as exciting for him as it was for us.  It was beautiful -- he is very charismatic, passionate, and super talented. He plays the guitar and does some amazing drifting solos.  I think he is classified under folk music, but I find his sound to be unique - folky, with a touch of jam band,and some classical influences. It's hard to pinpoint, but the closest comparison I could come up with is Ben Harper.  He has a very surfer boy, Jack Johnson-with-an-edge type of vibe.  His songs are artful and some are performed in a one-man-band type of manner, recording loops and layers - building the song right before your eyes. 

Just check him out.... Give him a shot.  

I am really into music, and hope to share some more of my favorites moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment